Please take a look at our writing opportunities. If you see one that you like, tell us why you would be a good fit for the position. If you do not see a position that piques your interest create one so that we can review and perhaps approve of your collaborative effort.
Part-time Faculty, Journalism
The Journalism track at “The News School” invites expressions of interest in part-time faculty teaching opportunities. Part-time teaching opportunities are available throughout the academic year, including summer sessions for our bootcamp program. FMG certified writers with expertise that matches course scheduling needs will need to contact us for interview. Academic course schedules fluctuate from quarter to quarter and the department will work with selected individuals to determine a quarterly schedule.
You’ll work across several clients (and new business pitch opportunities), writing copy for print, email, web, video, social, and more. But you’ll also get to brainstorm, concept, map content, craft presentations/pitches, outline, research, laugh, eat candy, and collaborate with design, account, development and strategy teams.
You’ll also need to:
1) Collaborate with account & strategy to understand briefs and core messages
2) Self-learn about new products, services, target audiences, news, etc. that will help direct your work
3) Work under pressure to manage workloads effectively
4) Be ready to help your fellow team members take on overflow work
5) Help develop concepts with other members of the creative team
6) Speak up and share ideas in brainstorms and with your design partners(s)
7) Write engaging, persuasive copy that tells the right story and speaks to the right audiences
8) Adapt easily to write within different brand voices and relevant tones
Breaking News/Traffic/Weather Reporter
- Focuses on providing timely and useful information to commuters planning their drives to and from work, as well as to those already en route by maintaining contact with external sources of information or by observing traffic from air or land vehicle.
• Announces the latest accidents and hold-ups.
• Reads traffic reports, commercials and public service messages to listeners on the radio from a variety of in-take sources; canvasses local, state and national traffic news to determine significance and prioritization.
• Identifies, researches, and creates copy regarding traffic and weather to feature
- Manages gathered information: keeps all the facts straight, makes sure details are accurate and current and tracks any changes.
• In designated Hub stations, gathers and provides coverage for stations in multiple cities/locations.
• Maintains crucial deadlines in order to provide traffic/weather/breaking news updates in a timely fashion.
• May prepare written content, visual images, audio material and video footage for websites, blogs or other social-media platforms.
• May require flexibility in work schedules.
Writing stories and teases; writing for on-air and on-line; working with reporters and photographers in the field; desk-top video editing; reviewing feed tapes; posting text and video to the internet; and gathering information on late stories. In addition to writing to the video and graphics available, the Writer will contribute creative ideas for broadcasts and websites
- Provide post-sales support to the entire digital Sales Team by processing all digital revenue through the order management system, reserving all types of inventory, monitoring the delivering of display campaigns and reporting on campaign performance throughout the life of the order.
- Secure and process ad creative, verifying the ad specs, while ensuring TNS business rules are met and advertiser expectations are clear.
- Ability to use Media Math in relation to the industry (Gross vs. Net/CPM/eCPM).
Optimize campaigns to enhance performance and deliver on the promises made to the advertiser.
- Assist with billing issues and support collection efforts, to ensure that revenue is received in a timely manner.
- Must be able to prioritize multiple assignments with a high degree of accuracy, and function quickly in a fast paced, deadline oriented environment.
- Execute change requests and revisions to digital campaigns to meet deadlines and ensure stellar campaign performance.
- Must be able to handle all aspects of customer service including anticipating the customer’s needs, building relationships, and exceeding the customer’s expectations.
- Use problem solving skills to resolve escalated technical issues and provide timely solutions.
- Stay abreast of tronc digital products, industry topics, trends and ad serving solutions, acting as subject matter expert to support the Sales Teams and the rest of the Digital Ad Operations department.
- Must understand business objectives and advertisers’ goals and KPI’s to maximize revenue and advertiser performance.
- Work with the Ad Ops Manager to identify process efficiencies to improve customer satisfaction, turnaround time, and create cost savings.
Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Primary responsibility is to deliver the sports segment in an engaging, creative and dynamic manner during newscasts
- Responsible for factual sports information and producing online News presentations.
- Provide input to the publication regarding sports content
- Write sports stories, teases and sports news briefs
- Incorporate all graphics, banners, scores, and other content into the sports online products.
- Be engaged in TNS’s social media efforts by posting and sharing sports related content and sending relevant Sports info push alerts
Investigative News Reporter,
- Generate long and short-term investigative News projects and content for online publications
- Research, write and present investigative News stories in English
- Contribute research, investigate and develop stories for investigative unit
- Provide investigative News content across all of TNS’s digital and print platforms
- Develop and maintain sources that will generate exclusive story content and News reports
- Work with News management to consistently provide factual, ethical and compelling investigative News content.
Criminal Justice Reporter
- The criminal justice reporter will work with other reporters and the senior editor of the Criminal Justice Desk. They will work independently on an assigned beat, while also collaborating with other members of the team on stories, projects and investigations.
- The criminal justice team will be focused on all layers of our criminal justice system — from policing, courts, detention, juvenile justice, prisons and recidivism, to the vast network of relevant social and human services. It’s a wide and fertile field, and we want to cover those issues in creative and provocative ways that inspire and inform and hold institutions of government accountable.
Report on U.S. politics. Report on national issues as they impact our region. We’re looking for a reporter who knows where to dig, researches and pitches stories, work sources to break news and tells compelling stories on every platform.